Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vimy Ridge

Dear Diary,                                                                                                                        April 14th, 1917

I am overfilled with joy and pride. I am Canadian, and I am ever so proud because the most amazing event ever has taken place. Five days ago, on April 9th, we, the Canadian Corps, fought as a united army and showed the world our greatness. The French and the British both tried to take over Vimy Ridge in the past, but neither were successful; they thought that it could not be done. I hear that there were many deaths; I can't even imagine how many people must have of died to try and capture this ridge. We ourselves have had 10, 600 casualties. God bless the families back at home!

Map of Attack Plans on Vimy Ridge
This ridge was captured by the Germans at the beginning of the war in October, and we have wanted it back since because it is very easy to defend and very dangerous for the enemy to attack. Since the British and French failed to capture the ridge the British High Command put the task to the Canadian Corps. They let us fight as one whole individual unit. 

I have given you background on this amazing victory, but I think it's time I share my personal story. I have already expressed the hardships of being at war and the disappointment of realizing that this wasn't any easy way to glory, but now, the announcement of this task was like a call from heaven; we were getting a chance to shine. We knew that this battle had to be fought strategically in order to win; we couldn't repeat the mistakes of the French and British. We were under the control of General Byng and received intense training weeks before the attack. This battle was going to be a very big operation; there was even a full size model built of the ridge so we could see exactly where the Germans would be hiding and where they could attack from. We weakened German defence my bombing the ridge the weeks before the attack, as a part of the strategic plan. 

The Ridge is captured!
On the day off attack, it was 5 AM when we all rushed out of the trenches and came out of tunnels to overtake the ridge. We kept trudging forward, even when one of our commanders was killed. We needed this win, and we knew we could do it. All around me, I saw men falling and falling and prayed that the next bullet shot wouldn't hit me. Into the first line of trenches we went, shooting, stabbing and killing; we got hold of the first two lines of trenches that day. This battle continued for three more days and we kept our strategic plans going while the German defences weakened. 

Then finally on April 12, it was ours; Vimy Ridge was ours! If you could only have been there to experience the shouts and cries of joy from each soldier. We, the Canadians, under our own command did what others could not. We are a Nation and we are strong! I couldn't even hear myself let out sighs of relief because the noise was so loud. This was the first victory I was a part of... this is what made me realize why I decided to come to this war.

Summary Video of Vimy Ridge

Yours Truly,

No comments:

Post a Comment