Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Propoganda

Dear Diary,                                                                                                                 September 29, 1914
It is the 29th of September and Jonathan enlisted into the army today. Many of my other friends enlisted a while ago, but Jonathan was my dearest friend. I have been reluctant because my beloved Sarah is sick, but I will need to leave soon too. This adventurous glory is something I cannot miss! As I was walking through the town today I came across a poster (picture on the right), and looking at it made me feel disheartened. Why was I still standing here in Canada? Everyone who has gone out to war is risking their life to save us, and I sit here in a protected circle. How can I let poor Jonathan give his life for me? I come across these poster daily, and each time it is a painful reminder, as well as an stir to the guilt that sits inside of me.

Germany needs to leave!
I never gave thought to war before, but now I can only imagine standing with your back straight in your crisp uniform and shining gun, trudging along the plains to represent your country. I imagine that all that have left must be training hard to fight in the war. How honourable must it be to represent one's own country on distant lands. The Canadians will shine through this war, and we will not let anyone attack us and think that we are weak. The Germans, that started this war, will learn that they shouldn't have done so; they have put the whole world to fight, thinking that they are so great, but they should wait until the Canadians shine. I cannot wait to enlist; I must enlist soon... it is the only right thing to. I pray that the Lord gives dear Sarah her health back soon. Please Lord, let me help my country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment